Water Resources Staff Engineer
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI)
The Right of Way Services (ROWS) division of DOTI is seeking a qualified individual to fulfill an unlimited Staff Engineer position within our Engineering and Regulatory (ER) Water Resources Group. The services offered by our ER team include evaluation of Capital and Utility Projects against City, State and Federal rules, regulations, policies, and procedures, while promoting excellent coordination between a multitude of projects and stakeholders.
Our ER team is regularly called upon to solve unique and nonstandard situations and is seeking individuals who thrive in a problem-solving environment and excel with collaboration and attention to detail. Work assigned to this position will primarily be applying best stormwater and erosion control practices related to safe mobility, utility, and infrastructure engineering and planning in the public Right-of-Way (ROW).
In this Staff Engineer role in our ROWS ER team, you will expect to:
- Provide technical review and comment on engineering plans, specifications, and reports for projects managed by internal (DOTI Mobility, DOTI Wastewater Management, Parks and Recreation, etc.) and external (CDOT, RTD, Denver Water, Xcel, etc.) agencies for stormwater compliance. Perform calculations to check applications and drawings for code and/or standards compliance
- Issue erosion control permits and maintain information database for the agency related to plan review, comment, and permit tracking and keep interested parties advised as to the various stages of review
- Demonstrate skill in applying a “common sense” and collaborative approach to resolving complex or technical problems. Regularly simplify issues with clearly written summaries.
- Regularly meet with applicant, internal project managers, contract personnel, other City staff, and the public to resolve plan review comments, provide process and technical guidance, and minimize regulatory and field conflicts. The successful candidate will thrive while working with people and must demonstrate flexibility and ease in these interactions
- Occasionally perform field reviews and occasionally review site construction as appropriate to assure compliance with approved plans and regulations
- Be prepared to express ideas and creativity while being part of an evolving and dynamic team with exposure across many City interests
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
Experience: Qualifications: None
Licensures / Certifications:
Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application.Registration as an Engineer Intern issued by the Colorado State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers at the time of application. Registration in another state will be accepted in lieu of this requirement, provided that the applicant has Colorado registration at completion of probation. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment. Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related field
- Educational and/or work experience in design, technical review, and/or inspection of civil construction plans, specifications, and design reports, in addition technical writing is a plus
- Experience in hydrology/hydraulics and general erosion control principles and practices
- Prior experience at engineering firm or municipality a plus
- Initiative in performing assigned duties, identifying challenges and solutions, and supporting Department and team goals
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite, AutoCAD, database, or other technology solutions
- Knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS) system capabilities
See application link